Refugee Disability Benefits Oregon
Serving refugees/immigrants we serve have suffered severe physical and/or mental health issues due to war-related violence and trauma, torture, familial abuse, or inadequate health care for injuries sustained. They have come from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Russia, Bhutan, Burma, Bosnia, Sudan, Haiti, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cuba, Cambodia, China, Laos and Vietnam.
Organization mission statement: Organization mission statement: RDBO promotes justice for refugees and immigrants with different abilities through:
• Legal representation enabling refugees and immigrants to obtain the federal disability benefits for which they are qualified
• Training for refugees and immigrants, their families and their communities to empower them to understand and support refugees and immigrants with different abilities as they seek healthcare, explore options ranging from disability benefits to vocational opportunities and seek services in the community;
• Training healthcare providers, social security decision-makers, and judges who interact with refugees and immigrants in cultural competency and understanding of the refugee and immigrant experience;
• Advocacy for public policy changes needed to ensure just treatment for refugees and immigrants with different abilities.
Are you a: Organization
This organization or cause is a 501(c)3 non-profit: Yes
What community or cause does your organization serve?: The communities we serve are refugees/immigrants from around the world who now reside in Oregon. Ninety-five percent of the refugees/immigrants we have served to date are people of color. All of the refugees/immigrants we serve have suffered severe physical and/or mental health issues due to war-related violence and trauma, torture, familial abuse, or inadequate health care for injuries sustained. They have come from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Russia, Bhutan, Burma, Bosnia, Sudan, Haiti, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cuba, Cambodia, China, Laos and Vietnam.
Our cause is achieving justice for refugees/immigrants in Oregon. Our strategies focus on:
• Representing both disabled individuals and large groups of refugees/immigrants who have been illegally denied benefits;
• Empowering their communities to better understand the disability system and vocational options, through their young adult members who will be in our first cohort of trained "Community Navigators”;
• Creating a network of vocational counselors with cultural sensitivity;
• Ensuring that disabled refugees/immigrants receive healthcare that meets their social, cultural and linguistic needs by training interested providers who would like to achieve improved cultural sensitivity.
• Educating Oregon's judges on cultural differences and refugee trauma to improve the chances that refugees/immigrants in Oregon courts will be judged by those with cultural sensitivity and awareness.
Project description: RDBO is an eighteen-month old nonprofit. The work we do is difficult to describe in a few short sentences yet we know that that's something we need to be able to do. We are unique in the United States in our focus on disabled refugees and immigrants.
We have a basic website, logo and Facebook page. However, our name is already too limiting for what we are doing and we need to find a new name, followed by branding, website changes, and likely a logo change. We hope for help with an overall marketing and digital strategy.
How will this creative work help you overcome challenges or meet specific goals?: We have wonderful stories to share but we don't know how; similarly, we believe that a short video about us and what we do would greatly enhance our ability to explain what we do and why it is important, thereby helping our ability to fundraise. We do not have a digital strategy nor search engine optimization. We diligently blog but without any certainty that we are reaching anyone. We have no budget for this help yet we recognize that it is vitally important to getting our message and work out there.
Project needs: new logo/brand design, update to existing logo/brand, brand, marketing, and / or digital strategy, brand messaging / voice, storytelling, website design, staff portraits, marketing strategy, promotional video, documentary/storytelling video, digital newsletter design, social media branding, search engine optimization
Other project needs not listed above: I'm not familiar with some of the needs listed above -- we might need it and not know it.
Project Timeline: 3-6 months
Current website: www.rdbo.org